If you want to update local NPM package on windows machine, either Download and run the latest MSI. The MSI will update your installed node and npm.
There is another solution, which will update npm package globally on local machine.
Run PowerShell as Administrator
Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope CurrentUser -Force npm install -g npm-windows-upgrade npm-windows-upgrade
Note: Do not run
npm i -g npm. Instead use
npm-windows-upgrade to update npm going forward. Also if you run the NodeJS installer, it will replace the node version.
- Upgrades npm in-place, where node installed it.
- Easy updating, update to the latest by running
npm-windows-upgrade -p -v latest.
- Does not modify the default path.
- Does not change the default global package location.
- Allows easy upgrades and downgrades.
Reference: upgrade npm on Windows.